Thetford Select Board Meeting


May 17, 2004

PRESENT: Paul Raymond, Rick Barrows, Mary Spata, Marilyn Cook (clerk)

GUESTS: Jim Lanctot- Police Officer

Meeting called to order at 6:40 pm.

Officer in Charge, Jim Lanctot, updated the Selectboard on recent vandalisms in town. He also noted that parking along Academy Road has become a problem due to safety concerns. Officer Lanctot will be completing a new inventory of police department equipment. He is planning an operational meeting with Chief Soarres of Norwich and Mark McMahon, in which they will review the inventory and assess items that are needed in the Thetford Police Department. The department has investigated 103 cases since the beginning of the year. The police department is coordinating coverage of graduation events. The second police car is at Huggett's being assessed for repairs.

Janet Stowell and Denise Adams, Listers, joined the meeting at 7 pm. Officer Lanctot left at 7:05 pm.

The listers are interested in hiring a temporary clerk for approximately 10-12 hours per week to help out in the Listers' office. Roxy Maxfield has not returned to work in quite some time and they are unsure of her return date. The selectboard approved and the position will be posted in the paper. Meantime, they plan to temporarily fill the position until the interview process is complete.

Lynne Miller, Editor of the Thetford Newsletter, would like people to submit items for the next edition.

Rick Barrows will attend the Secondary School Options Committee meeting on May 18. The Thetford Hill Village Improvement Society will meet on May 19 at 7 pm. There will be a Thetford Center Common Committee meeting on May 25 at 7 pm.

Motion to accept the minutes of April 26, 2004 as amended. (Spata/Raymond) Unanimous.

Jill Graff, Treasurer, joined the meeting at 7:45 pm. Mark McMahon joined the meeting at 7:53 pm.

Ms. Graff distributed Check Warrants and left the meeting at 8:00 pm.

A resident joined the meeting at 8 pm to discuss a second letter from the selectboard regarding unregistered vehicles on his property. He is unable to meet the seven-day deadline to have three or less unregistered vehicles and requested a month extension. The selectboard granted an extension to June 7, 2004. The resident left the meeting at 8:15 pm.

Ellis Paige joined the meeting at 8:05 pm.

Replacement road signs have not come in. If they have not arrived by Friday, the order will be canceled and a new company will be used.

Schedule for Sayre Bridge repairs on Tucker Hill Rd- Project needs to go out for bid for a 60-day period. Mr. Paige asked about patching it for the interim. Mr. McMahon will make arrangements with road foreman.

Tracy Borst, Town Clerk, joined the meeting at 8:20 pm.

Andrea Alsup, owner of a property on Picknell Road, sent a letter providing more specific information for her proposal to improve this class 4 road. Mr. McMahon will respond to her letter, clarifying that the town of Thetford will not provide gravel for the work.

Ms. Borst received information from the Vermont League of Cities and Towns' legal department that dog fee penalties can be up to $500.

Town Clerk's office will be closed on Fridays for the summer.

Selectboard Chair, Mark McMahon, signed overweight permits for Keith Desmarais, Ken Reney Trucking and Barnaby Trucking.

Ms. Borst left the meeting.

Specific dimensions and materials were provided for the proposed path from Thetford Academy to Library Road.

Move to approve Check Warrant #17.1 (general) in the amount of $6,642.20. (Barrows/Raymond) Unanimous.

Move to approve Check Warrant #17.4 (payroll) in the amount of $7,257.73 (Barrows/Raymond) Unanimous.

Motion to amend Driveway Permit #239 for Joseph Huntington, Sr. at 919 W. Fairlee Rd. (McMahon/Raymond) unanimous.

Mary Spata joined the Planning Commission meeting on the topic: lighting of signs. Where applicable, the commission plans to send letters defining the town's zoning ordinances. The selectboard would like to see consistency in enforcing zoning ordinances and will follow-up with the commission.

Alford Stone, Health Officer joined the meeting at 9:10 pm. Mr. Stone received a second health complaint by a residential tenant. He has already been to the property and does not feel there is a health violation. He will follow-up with the tenant.

Mr. Stone left the meeting at 9:17 pm.

Fairbanks Mills, Inc. submitted a final bill for the Stowell Road Bridge. The selectboard questions the amount of the bill and will ask for an itemized bill.

Motion to approve the minutes of May 10, 2004, as amended. (Spata/Barrows) Unanimous.

Agenda items for May 24 meeting-Road Foreman, Recreation Committee

Rick Barrows readdressed the lack of response to the report in the town's annual report titled, "Property Taxes: Changes in Assessed Value and Abatements". There are over 90 people who may qualify to request an abatement based on a change in the assessed value of their property. The selectboard supports him in making telephone calls to those people.

Motion to adjourn at 9:45 pm. (Spata/Raymond) Unanimous.

Last Modified 7/2004 by Bill Weyrick