Thetford Select Board Meeting


September 19, 2005


PRESENT: Mary Spata, Doug Stone, Mike Brown, John Bacon, Mark McMahon (7:30 PM), Marilyn Cook (clerk)


GUESTS: Emily Kaminsky, Community Capital of Central Vermont


Meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM by Mary Spata.


Community Capital of Central Vermont is a non-profit organization offering financing and technical assistance in partnership with individuals, who otherwise might not qualify for a traditional loan, to start, improve, or expand small businesses. They are interested in working with Orange County communities and need the Selectboard's approval to work with residents in Thetford. Selectboard will review at next meeting.


John Bacon joined the meeting at 7:15 PM.

Ms. Kaminsky left the meeting at 7:22 PM.


Chief Joseph Anthony and Mark McMahon joined the meeting at 7:30 PM.


Chief Anthony reviewed incident in Post Mills in which a resident has made complaints that someone tried to approach children; complaints from the same resident continue to be received. The Chief believes this situation is specific to one family and that residents are not at a higher risk because of this situation. The State and Local Police are working together to continue to investigate.


Jim Masland, State Representative, and Allison Rogers, Reporter for Connecticut Valley Spectator joined at 7:40 PM.


The Ford Explorer needs a new engine. Used police vehicles are available through Police Cruisers Ltd in the price range of $7,000 to $10,000. Selectboard decided to move forward with repairs to the Explorer.


There will be a Police Forum at the Post Mills Church on Tuesday September 20. Topics include domestic violence, stalking and keeping children safe on the internet.


Radio logs are available to Selectboard by going in to the Police Station and meeting with Officer Jim Lanctot. Selectboard requests copies of logs, but the Chief does not believe he can give them out. The Selectboard believes it is authorized to receive them, with certain limitations.


Selectboard asked about traffic enforcement- Chief requests the Selectboard provide him written directions if there are areas of concern so that he may respond in writing.


Selectboard and Police Chief will continue to meet the first Monday of each month. The next meeting will be October 3 at 7 PM.


Chief Anthony left at 8:10 PM.


Kathleen Kanz, Two Rivers Ottauquechee Regional Commission, has revised Chapter 10 of the 1999 Town Plan. She is working on Chapter 2. Selectboard will review the revisions of Chapter 10 next week.


Jim Masland expressed interest in assisting with revising the new Town Plan.


Verizon has received their Act 250 permit but has not been back to address zoning.


Charlie Buttrey joined and Allison Rogers left at 8:30 PM.


Local Fuel Assistance- Charlie Buttrey asked about residents' need for Fuel Assistance and if something could be done locally and possibly in conjunction with an energy audit/weatherization. Mr. Masland spoke about Federal and State fuel assistance based on income levels. Some residents' incomes are just above the qualification level for assistance. Poor Farm Trust may be able to be utilized. Bob Walker (SERG), Mr. Masland and Mr. Buttrey will meet and come up with a proposal. They will include the Town Service Officer, Roberta Howard, and other interested residents. They will return on October 17 at 7:30 PM.


Mr. Buttrey and Mr. Masland left at 8:45 PM.


September 19, 2005


Reviewed progress of hiring the Zoning Administrator position. A written or in-person recommendation from the Planning Commission is needed. Mr. Brown will talk with Sean Mullen.


Recycling Center Committee meeting took place recently. Excavator bids are being solicited to complete the site work before winter.


CVPS will turn off the streetlight in North Thetford that was inadvertently turned on. This particular light was included in the lights that were turned off permanently.


Ms. Spata and Mr. Stone will meet Thursday at 3:00 PM at the intersection of Rte 113 and Barker Rd in Post Mills to view the triangular green.


Yellowwood Consultants Inventories- Ms. Spata will complete the town hall and solid waste inventories. Mr. Stone and Mr. McMahon will complete the town roads inventory. Jill Graff can assist with town-owned properties. Mr. Stone will complete the town garage inventory.


Motion to approve the minutes of September 12, 2005, as amended (Spata/Brown) Unanimous.


Motion to approve Check Warrant Reports as noted:

#33.1 General Fund $13,454.99

#18.4 Payroll $10,867.40

#28.2 Highway $421.02 (Brown/Stone) Unanimous


Police Cruiser discussion- Selectboard decided to have the Ford Explorer repaired. Mr. Stone will inform the Chief and Mr. McMahon will talk with Watson's.


Motion to enter Executive Session to discuss personnel at 9:55 PM. (Spata/Bacon) Unan


Marilyn Cook left the meeting at 9:55 PM.


Executive Session ended at 10:32 PM. No action taken.


Meeting adjourned at 10:35 PM (Spata/Bacon) Unanimous.

Last Modified 11/2005 by Bill Weyrick